Sending money from the United State of America (USA) to a Nigeria bank account is very possible and can be done easily. There are many fintech companies that have made sending US dollars to Nigeria bank account achievable. This means that you don’t have to be stuck with one method of transferring the money if you notice that you are not too satisfied with their service.
There are many transactions that happen online every second which involve the transferring of money from one account to another without any border barrier, and in this article, we shall be looking at the various ways you can send money from the USA to Nigeria bank account easily.
Note: Following the directive from the Central Bank of Nigeria, all payouts in Nigeria will be in US dollars. This implies that the ending of money into a Nigeria Naira bank account will not be available until further notice from CBN.
Five (5) ways you can send money from the USA to Nigeria
1. WorldRemit: WorldRemit remains one of the most reliable to send money across borders.
To send money using WorldRemit, follow these steps:
- Choose the option of how you want to send the money to the recipient in Nigeria. The options include bank transfer, cash pickup, and airtime top-up service.
- Select the person you are sending to and if it’s a new receiver, add the person’s details.
- Choose your method of payment. Supported payment methods are debit, credit, or prepaid cards, Android and Apple Pay.
WorldRemit stated on their website that cash picks up is available in USD from their cash pick-up locations, and also, bank transfers to Nigeria are available in USD with Nigeria banks like GTBank, Acess Bank, FCMB, Fidelity, and UBA.
2. MoneyGram: Although MoneyGram is old, but yet, it is still one of the most reliable ways you can send money to Nigeria from the USA. With over 350,000 agent locations and 400 bank partners around the world, MoneyGram occupies the position of the second-largest global money transfer service after Western Union.
To send money from the USA to Nigeria, follow these simple steps:
- Go to MoneyGram.com or use the mobile app
- Provide the recipient’s details
- Select your payment method. You have a credit or debit card, and you can also choose to pay directly from your bank account.
- Verify and send. Once you have confirmed that all the details you provided are correct, you can then send.
3. WesternUnion: Western Union is a good choice you can go with to send money to Nigeria from the USA and is considered to be the biggest money transfer service provider in the world.
WesternUnion gives you three different options on how you can send money to Nigeria:
- In-person using any of the 55,000 agent locations in the US
Payment methods on WesternUnion include:
- Debit or credit card
- Apple Pay
- Direct payment from your bank account
- Payment in cash at an agent location
4. Flutterwave: Flutterwave is a Nigeria fintech company, and it recently partnered with U.S. payments giant, Paypal. Users can use Barter by Fluterwave to make transactions online with options of various currencies.
If you want to send money to Nigeria from the USA, follow these simple steps:
- If you don’t have the Barter app, first download and install it.
- Register your details on the app
- Navigate to the “Send Money” button and click/tap it to send to the recipient in Nigeria
- The receiver will see the USD you sent beside the Nigerian naira (NGN) balance.
- From there, e receiver can cash the money received into a DOM account or an NGN account
You can also send a remittance from the USA to Nigeria in USD by sending it to a DOM account.
5. Paystack: Paystack is similar to Flutterwave in operation and it is us. Primarily, Paystack is a payment gateway on websites used by small businesses and freelancers to receive payment across the world. However, users can also use it to send money to another user provided that the recipient has a Paystack account.
To send money using Paystack, the recipient must create a Paystack account, generate a payment link from their dashboard. The recipient should send you the payment link they generated and you can make payment using either your debit or credit card.