Many people see YouTube as a site where they can spend a good number of time watching funny videos, gossips, tutorials, etc while to some, it is a source of income. Being able to be successful as a YouTuber will require some effort and you need to put in the hard work. It is not everyone that starts a YouTube channel that will be successful in it especially if the purpose is to make money from it. Some will lose interest if they don’t start seeing results immediately, some might run out of ideas of what to post. YouTube is not a quick fix for your financial situation and you must be patient before you start earning from it.
This is why it is advisable that you should choose a niche that you are passionate about. Now let’s look at some niches you can choose from if you want to start a YouTube channel.
The most popular niches on YouTube
Here are some of the most popular and profitable niches on YouTube that you can choose from:
- Tech Videos
- Personal finance
- Product Reviews
- Unboxing products
- Cooking and foods
- Beauty and Makeup
- Weight loss & Healthy Living
- Gossip and news
How to create a YouTube Channel in 7 simple steps
Step 1: Create a Google account
YouTube is owned by Google and you need to have an account with Google before setting up your YouTube channel. If you already have a Gmail address, simply proceed to YouTube but if you don’t, go to the Google account creation page and create a new Gmail address.
Step 2: Create a YouTube brand account
By default, once you have a Google account, it automatically gives you a personal YouTube account. However, if you want to create a YouTube account for your brand, you will need to set it up.
Follow these guidelines to create a brand account:
- Sign in to YouTube using the Google account you want to use to create the channel.
- Click on your profile image at the top right corner of your screen
- A dropdown menu will appear, click on “Create a Channel.”
- A window will pop up, select “Get Started.”
- You will be given an option that says “Use a custom name,” click “Select.”
- Enter your brand name and click Create.
Your new channel has now been created. You can then proceed to customize your channel’s settings on the next screen.
Step 3: Add your brand identity
You will need to add a brand identity for your channel so that it can stand out amongst many channels on YouTube. You will need to access your account on a computer for you to do this rather than on a phone.
Step 4: Upload your first video
Once you have successfully set up your account, you can now start uploading some videos on it starting with your first video.
Follow these steps to upload your first video:
- Sign in to your newly created YouTube account.
- Click on the Create a Video. You will see a video icon with a plus sign, click on it.
- Click Upload video.
- Select the video you want to upload from your video files.
- Add your video title and description including relevant keywords.
- Click on “publish”.
Step 5: Organize your YouTube channel into a playlist
It is important that your videos are properly organized, doing this will let those who visit your channel know which playlist they should go to for a particular video.
To properly organize your videos, you should create a playlist for them and segment them based on different topics.
To create a playlist for your videos, follow these simple steps:
- Once you’re in your channel, click Customize channel.
- Click the Playlists tab.
- Click New playlist.
- Enter the title you want for your playlist and click create.
- You will be directed to where you have your new playlist. Click Edit.
- Click Add videos and choose the videos you want to add to your playlist.
Step 6: Create a channel trailer
When a new visitor visits your channel, it is important that you introduce what your channel is all about using a short video, and this is what is referred to as a channel trailer. The trailer should also let them know why they should subscribe to your channel and encourage them to do so.
You can create a YouTube channel trailer with these simple steps:
- Once you have a video that you want to use as your trailer,
- Log into YouTube and upload the video you want to use as your channel trailer.
- Go to your channel and click “Customize channel”.
- Click the tab that says “For new visitors”, then click Channel trailer.
- From your videos list, select the video you want to use as your trailer, then click Save.
Step 7: Make your channel discoverable
You are almost done with setting your channel up completely. Your work is not yet done until you ensure that those visiting YouTube can discover your channel.
To make ensure that your channel is discoverable, follow these guidelines:
- Add relevant channel keywords, you can do this in the creator studio. Make sure that the keywords you add are related to what your channel is all about.
- Allow YouTube to recommend your channel. You need to turn on this option in the Channel recommendations section and click save.