Starting a blogging business is one of the best low-cost business ideas you can start today.
If you think blogging is no longer a viable source of income, then you are mistaking big time.
There are a lot of bloggers that are excelling in the business of blogging by creating valuable and profitable content.
How can you start a blog?
1. Pick a niche for your blog
People have different reasons for why they blog, but if your reason for starting a blog is to make money from it, then you must ensure that the blog niche has a considerably large audience. The reason for this is because the higher the volume of those that visit your blog, the higher your tendency of making money from the blog.
There are different niches you can choose from but ensure that you are passionate about the niche or at least have knowledge about it. If you are writing about the things you are not familiar with, your audience can easily tell, and you must bear in mind that you are not the only writer in that niche. So, if readers don’t find your content interesting or engaging enough, they will go to another website and may never visit yours again.
So what are the profitable blog niches you can choose from?
List of profitable blog niches:
- Personal finance such as reducing your debt, paying down student loans, reducing expenses, investing, forex, or cryptocurrencies
- Health and wellness such as weight loss, healthy eating, mental health, and mindfulness.
- Lifestyle blog which includes beauty and health, fashion, celebrities, etc.
- Relationships Blog
- Technology blog
- Entertainment blog
- Fitness and Sports
2. Choose your blog name
After deciding on the niche to write on, the next thing is for you to find a suitable name that goes with it the niche. In choosing your blog name, make sure that it gives an idea of what your blog is all about when it shows up on the search engine result page (SERP). Also in choosing your blog name, don’t let it be too complex to remember or too lengthy as well. For instance, buydog.com will be suitable enough for someone that is selling a dog than saying youcanbuyyourdoghere.com
Also, ensure that you check the availability of the name. This is because there are millions of blogs out there, and there is a high tendency that someone else might have used the same name you have in mind. Another option that you have in such a case is to change the Top-Level Domain (TLD). For instance, if you checked buydog.com and it shows that the name had been taking, you can search the same name with other TLD like .co, .biz, .xyz, etc.
Getting a blog name is not free so make sure that you set some money aside for that purpose, it should cost you about $9 though some websites do run promos from time to time. Also, the cost of your blog name depends on the TLD you choose.
3. Make your blog visible online (web hosting)
To make your website accessible to users online, you need to host it through a hosting company. The function of the host company is to keep all your website files safe, secure them and make sure that people can access your blog when they click on a link referring to your website or type in your website URL.
Which host company should you choose?
There are different web hosting companies and they offer different values. Some of the hosting companies are Namechaep, Godaddy, Bluehost, Qserver, Whogohost. You can check any of them for their various offers.
4. Design your blog with a free WordPress theme
Though there are various Content Management System (CMS) platforms you can run your blog on such as Wix, Squarespace, Drupal, etc If you want to start a blog and make money from it, WordPress is your best option to run your blog on. This is because WordPress makes it easy for you to blog, and most of the plugins available for bloggers are very compatible with WordPress, also the majority of top blog sites you can think of using WordPress for their websites. So it is safe to say WordPress should be your best option.
5. Write your first blog post
Once you have had the above stapes sorted out, the next thing is to write your first post. If you have been writing normally before now, there is no much difference from when you want to write a blog post, but you must ensure that this time around, the content is SEO-friendly. Decide on a topic you want to write on and never lose focus on the keywords. Keywords are the words that you want your blog post to rank for when people search for them online.
It is advisable that your content should have at a minimum of 500 words and you can also include images and videos to let readers better understand what you are talking about.
6. Promote your blog and get readers
The reason why you are writing is to have an audience that will engage with your content. It is now your duty to ensure that your published content is discoverable.
Different ways you can promote your blog post:
- Utilize social media to promote your blog.
You will always find your readers on social media channels like Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Quora, etc. Make sure that you are also present on all these platforms, and engage with the users there.
You can also try guest blogging on other relevant blogs and sites like Medium, Quora & Linkedin
- Use an email newsletter to grow your blog audience.
Once people visit your website, they might not want to visit again after getting the information they want. One of the ways, you can keep in contact with them is to get their emails and promise to send them interesting articles once if only they can subscribe to your email newsletter.
You can pick a piece of your writing and send it as a newsletter and then ask them to read the remaining on your website.
Basic skill you need to get started as a blogger
- You need a basic understanding of how WordPress works unless you are ready to keep paying money to experts. Youtube and Google are there to help you.
- Understand Search Engine Optimisation: Another skill you will need is the understanding of Search Engine Optimization commonly referred to as SEO. It is important that your site is well optimized so that it can easily be displayed on the first page of the search result whenever a user searches for content related to your website. It is said that whenever you want to bury anything on the internet, keep it on the second page, this is because people hardly go to other pages when searching.
- Web Content Writing: Writing blog content is different from writing an essay in the sense that you need to always at every point have your readers in mind. There are keywords that your potential readers would be searching for, ensure that you include them in your content so that it can come up when they make any search related to such keyword.
Seven (7) ways can you monetize your blog
To start making money from your blog, you need to have a considerable amount of traffic on your website who are genuinely interested in your blog. Once you have sizeable traffic, making money from your be=log becomes a lot easier.
Now let’s look at some ways by which you can earn money from your website.
- Affiliate programs: You can decide to join some affiliate programs and help them promote their products to your audience. The affiliate company will pay you a certain commission once someone buys the product using the referral link for your website.
- Blog advertisements: Advertising on blogs is one of the very popular ways by which bloggers make money on their websites. You can make money from adverts in two ways ad placement from ad networks and also payments from clicks on the ad.
- Sponsored blog content: Some companies that are in the same industry as your blog niche can contact you to help them write a review about their products or services. You can decide to agree to their offer at a cerian fee. Sponsored posts can also come as a press release from startups that is not yet well known but needs a larger audience to know about them.
- Selling your services: You can leverage your expertise and skills to your audience informed of consulting or coaching.
- Sell online courses: If you are good at teaching people something, you can create and sell a course that teaches your audience how to do something.
- Sell digital products like ebooks: For you to have a blog, it shows that you have all that it takes to write an ebook. You can choose one of your top-performing blog posts, and convert it to an ebook by write on it extensively.
- Sell physical products: If you have a physical product and your audience location is within the range of where you deliver to, you can promote the product on your website.